Good afternoon and attention all my wonderful friends and readers. We’re nearly done with the month of July, bringing us that much closer to the end of this dreaded heat. But until that happens we’ll have to brave this together so I’m sharing with you an outfit I’ve worn on one of the hottest days this year. Usually I stay clear of short shorts as they tend to make me feel younger than I already look but I of course had to make an exception. These high-rise, ruffled shorts from Zara make for a great girly and put together kind of look, making me feel better about showing so much leg. The top,I feel, is the real star of the show here. Recently added to my wardrobe from Topshop sales, this top makes me feel like all kinds of cool. The classic polka dot print promises for versatility and timeless chicness which is always a win in my book. Scroll down to shop this $20 top at Topshop and the rest of the look.
Shop the Look
A Guest Post by Cait from Caits Cozy Corner
A fashion, fitness , food and family blogger!
With summer officially here, it’s time swap out your favorite pastels in favor of something more suitable for the season. Although this may sound like a lot of work, your summer wardrobe really only requires a handful of staple pieces to be complete. Don’t worry about stocking up on endless pairs of shorts and bright T-shirts, either. With just a few items in the right material, color, and weight, you can be sure your collection can be rotated all season.
Sound appealing? Read on to discover which timeless pieces are all you’ll need from every June to August.
- Stripes – Stripes are to summer what florals are to spring. They’re iconic, timeless, and therefore, totally necessary. This summer, make sure you have a go-to striped shirt hanging in your closet. Whether you prefer a sleeveless tee or a three-quarter sleeved blouse, the many striped styles available at this time of year will leave you spoiled for choice. Once you’ve found the one that suits your taste, we know you’ll be reaching for your favorite striped top again and again.
- High Waisted Shorts– It’s safe to say low-ride shorts and jeans have been permanently left in the ’90s. Today, fashionistas know it’s all about high-waist bottoms. During summer, high-waist shorts provide the added benefits of enhancing your waistline and elongating your legs. With their extra long material, these shorts also create the illusion of modesty, even if they’re cut pretty short. Just pair them with your favorite breezy blouse and be sure to tuck it into your belt line.
- Strappy Sandals– After being bundled up in thick wool socks and snow boots, make sure your feet are ready to be on full display throughout the summer. Get a pedicure first, then prepare to rock your favorite strappy sandals. Whether you’re a stiletto girl, a wedge fan, or most comfortable in a pair of stylish flats, there’s no way you can survive summer without strappy sandals. I have at least 8 pairs with me at all times ha!
- Flair and Fit Dress– Dressing semi-formally for work, date nights, or annual events is a serious struggle. After all, it’s tough to look ladylike when you’re overheated and dripping in sweat. Fortunately, fit-and-flare dresses provide the perfect alternative to typical pantsuits and pencil skirts. Unlike your usual work outfits, fit-and-flare dresses provide a fun pop of color and enough room to keep you cool throughout the day.
- Bold Handbags – During winter, there’s a high chance that your handbag choices had to be more practical than fashionable. In snowy conditions, you may have had to swap your Saffiano leather for waterproof polyester. I mean, I can forgive this reasonable (yet tragic) decision so long as you step up your purse game during the summer. Pack away your winter backpack and instead opt for a colorful, oversized tote. It will carry everything you need for a day of running errands or a weekend picnic and talk about making a great statement with any outfit!
- Off The Shoulder Shirts– Tube tops may be long outdated, but off-the-shoulder blouses are more popular than ever. They do such a fantastic job of highlighting your collarbone, neckline, and tanned shoulders. I recommend having at least one solid color option and one fun, printed version. Just remember to wear sunscreen on this delicate area!
- Espardrilles- No shoes will make you feel like you’re on a tropical vacation quite like a pair of espadrilles. These Spanish slip-ons are the closest you can get to walking around barefoot. If you find them too plain, fear not! The popular brand Soludos makes tons of cute, extra stylish options. You can even find them in wedge versions, various patterns, and with ankle ties.
Image: Sewing Machine
Ever think of making and creating your own summer staples? Why not check out the wonderful people at Sewing Machine who offer a variety of all your sewing tools that you need! Because they are a family run business, their customer service couldn’t make you feel like part of their family to help answer any questions or concerns! From various products like Brother, Juki and Singer to any type of craft, needlepoint, knitting and more, the website has it all. They even offer classes to help you take your designs from drab to fab! So what are you waiting for! Come create your own staples and show off your work with friends and family this summer! They may even ask to borrow your great ideas too!
Find Them At Zara for $30
Good morning ,everyone. While we’re all well and aware and rushing around through the sales of Zara and many other shops making room for their AW collections I’d like to direction your attention for just a moment to a particular piece that I believe you’re going to love. No, it isn’t on any sale at the moment but pricing at $29.90 these cropped trousers aren’t half bad at all. They slightly resemble culottes, having a looser fit than he average trouser and have a lower hem line grazing the ankle. he material is smooth and great for those summer outings and may even be able to make a sneak appearance in the fall. Get them while they’re sill available, they’re going fast!
Shop the Look
Black Radiance True Complexion BB Cream SPF 15 Shade: Brown Sugar
I’m not the most in tuned person when it comes to beauty items but based on trial and error I’ve come to discover what I like and dislike for certain times of the year and occasions. Currently on my must have list for makeup and beauty during the summer season is light, protecting, & fresh. I, like many, don’t like to feel like I have a mountain of makeup on my face while I’m sweating buckets in the heat so I like to keep it simple. For skincare I’ve grown to really appreciate Neutrogena and many of their products, specifically the Hydro Boost hydrating serum. Again, I like to keep it simple and this serum is really light weight on my face and hydrating leaving a fresh and dewy look after a simple application of just one to two pumps.
The Boscia eye mask is a new one for me but seeing results after just one use I quickly became a fan. Again, application is simple and quick, I’ve used mine in a long distance car ride with no problem taking just 15 minutes of my time. This is great for those jet lag moments when your poor under eyes have to pay for your travels. Its formula contains sake, full of rich vitamins and minerals to brighten and provide hydration, willow herb, helping to reduce inflammation and reduce irritation and a few other great ingredients to keep your skin firm an nourished.
For makeup I keep it really simple with Black Radiance’s True Complexion BB cream. It’s usually a struggle finding the right shade for darker complexions with most makeup brands but Black Radiance makes it easy, providing various options for people of color. I’ve been loving mixing the BB cream with an oil for a natural, summer, glowing look. The formula is very light weight, great for summer, and serves as a concealer, a primer, and moisturizer with SPF 15 protection.
Shop Other Items Seen